[bksvol-discuss] Web Site Suggestions

  • From: Kelly Ford <Kelly@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 04:09:12 -0800

Bookshare,

Below are a couple of suggestions to consider for future enhancements to the web site.

1. Include Books in Process with Searches

When a user searches for a book by title or author, there's no indication today that a book is in process i.e. waiting for volunteer or administrative validation. To me it would be helpful to know that a book is in process for both volunteers and general readers without having to look through the download list or save copies of book lists mailed to this mailing list. The books in some administrative state could be separated out into a section of the search results but would at least let folks know the book would be appearing at some point.

2. Remove the space characters at the beginning of the title/author drop down for searches.

Is there a reason that the title and author words in the search selection drop down have spaces at the beginning. I realize it is only one character but if the space was eliminated a user could simply type "a" or "t" to select the appropriate item in the list once the drop down was activated.

3. Consider some sort of different layout for the book lists when browsing new books or by category.

At least for me the table used for the books waiting for volunteer validation is much faster to go through with a screen reader than the any of the main book lists. On the validation page I can quickly use the screen reader's table reading commands to hear title and author. On the main list moving through the books is a lot more tedious.

Thanks,

Kelly