[bksvol-discuss] Re: Watch Out for the Wrong PQ Book

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 21:51:15 -0500

If you mean the ones that look like advertising, I don't know. I only know that when I came across them while browsing the newly added books I thought about mentioning them here and of providing a link to make my point. However, thinking about something too long can lead to inaction and that is exactly what happened to me. I no longer remember the titles in question and would not know how to find them in the collection again now. I would have to come across them again and the collection is so large now that it might be a while at the very least. I should have reported them though. If anyone else does come across them then I would urge you to do what I failed to do and report them.

On 2/20/2012 9:04 PM, Ixchel, Jackie (M.E) wrote:
Has anyone reported these books?

On 2/20/12, Roger Loran Bailey<rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>  wrote:
I have been contemplating downloading that one myself. I am glad you
gave the warning before I did. This, by the way, is a definite case to
make a quality report about. Now and then I have seen other publisher
books that have been added to the collection that I have not downloaded
but that I find questionable as to whether they really should be in the
collection such as books of excerpts of other books that have been
apparently compiled just for promotional purposes. I would question why
anyone would download something like that when they could download the
whole books.

On 2/20/2012 6:56 PM, Evan Reese wrote:
Today I had an odd experience on Bookshare. I downloaded a book called
This Will Make You Smarter edited by John Brockman. I went to Amazon
first to read a bit about it before deciding to check Bookshare. It
said there that the book was published last Tuesday. So I went to
Bookshare and found a PQ copy of the book. I looked it up under the
editor's name, and when I found the title I looked no further.
Interestingly, the date of addition was December 12, 2011. I was
impressed. It seemed that HarperCollins  was giving Bookshare their
books even before they were officially published. Well, that turned
out not to be quite the case. After downloading and unzipping the brf
copy of the book, I found that it' was only 22.1Kb in size. The table
of contents had only a couple of the essays in it, and only what was
in the table of contents was in that copy. So I went back up to
Bookshare and entered the title into Advanced search. It was then that
I found two copies of the book, the severely truncated one I had
gotten originally, and the full edition, 545Kb in size for the brf
version, that was added on the same date it was officially published,
February 14.
I don't know how many other instances of this kind of thing there
might be, but I thought I should mention it here. Don't stop when you
find the first occurrence of a book title you're looking for, and if
there is more than one instance, get the one with the most recent date
of addition.
Evan