[bksvol-discuss] Re: Watch Out for the Wrong PQ Book

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 21:01:01 -0500

I have been contemplating downloading that one myself. I am glad you gave the warning before I did. This, by the way, is a definite case to make a quality report about. Now and then I have seen other publisher books that have been added to the collection that I have not downloaded but that I find questionable as to whether they really should be in the collection such as books of excerpts of other books that have been apparently compiled just for promotional purposes. I would question why anyone would download something like that when they could download the whole books.

On 2/20/2012 6:56 PM, Evan Reese wrote:
Today I had an odd experience on Bookshare. I downloaded a book called This Will Make You Smarter edited by John Brockman. I went to Amazon first to read a bit about it before deciding to check Bookshare. It said there that the book was published last Tuesday. So I went to Bookshare and found a PQ copy of the book. I looked it up under the editor's name, and when I found the title I looked no further. Interestingly, the date of addition was December 12, 2011. I was impressed. It seemed that HarperCollins was giving Bookshare their books even before they were officially published. Well, that turned out not to be quite the case. After downloading and unzipping the brf copy of the book, I found that it' was only 22.1Kb in size. The table of contents had only a couple of the essays in it, and only what was in the table of contents was in that copy. So I went back up to Bookshare and entered the title into Advanced search. It was then that I found two copies of the book, the severely truncated one I had gotten originally, and the full edition, 545Kb in size for the brf version, that was added on the same date it was officially published, February 14. I don't know how many other instances of this kind of thing there might be, but I thought I should mention it here. Don't stop when you find the first occurrence of a book title you're looking for, and if there is more than one instance, get the one with the most recent date of addition.
Evan