[bksvol-discuss] Watch Out for the Wrong PQ Book

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 18:56:24 -0500

Today I had an odd experience on Bookshare. I downloaded a book called This
Will Make You Smarter edited by John Brockman. I went to Amazon first to read a
bit about it before deciding to check Bookshare. It said there that the book
was published last Tuesday. So I went to Bookshare and found a PQ copy of the
book. I looked it up under the editor's name, and when I found the title I
looked no further. Interestingly, the date of addition was December 12, 2011. I
was impressed. It seemed that HarperCollins  was giving Bookshare their books
even before they were officially published. Well, that turned out not to be
quite the case. After downloading and unzipping the brf copy of the book, I
found that it' was only 22.1Kb in size. The table of contents had only a couple
of the essays in it, and only what was in the table of contents was in that
copy. So I went back up to Bookshare and entered the title into Advanced
search. It was then that I found two copies of the book, the severely truncated
one I had gotten originally, and the full edition, 545Kb in size for the brf
version, that was added on the same date it was officially published, February
14.

I don't know how many other instances of this kind of thing there might be, but
I thought I should mention it here. Don't stop when you find the first
occurrence of a book title you're looking for, and if there is more than one
instance, get the one with the most recent date of addition.

Evan