[bksvol-discuss] Re: Warning: a glitch in the new system for renewal dates.

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <GeraldHovas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 07:05:50 -0500

Cindy,

Volunteers now have a full 7 days to validate a book, or between 7 and 8
days for validation.  Because you renewed your books just after midnight on
Thursday, the 12th, around 12:08 am, you actually had a few minutes more
than 8 full days.  The books were due to expire just after midnight on
Friday, the 20th, and that's what they did.  The first full day (or 24
hours) ended just after midnight on the 13th, the second full day just after
midnight on the 14, and the seventh full day just after midnight on the
19th.  Because it's possible for someone to download a book just before
midnight, instead of just after midnight like you did, the books did not
expire until just after midnight the next day, the 20th.  Renewing your
books at the beginning of the day, rather than the end of the day, gave you
nearly a full day more for validation.  Still, if someone had downloaded a
book on 11:59 pm on the 12th, they would have had a full 7 days, or 168
hours by 11:59 pm on the 19th, and the book would have expired just after
midnight on the 20th.

Instead of trying to count the days, think of it like this.  Since you
renewed your books on Thursday, the 12th, you could renew them by the end of
the next Thursday, the 19th.  Since you didn't, they expired just after
midnight on Friday, the 20th.

Now that you've redownloaded them on Friday, the 20th, you are OK as long as
you download them by the end of Friday, the 27th.  If you don't, then they
will expire just after midnight on Saturday, the 28th.

As for your advanced notifications, the messages should have been sent out
just after midnight on the 18th, approximately 48 hours before the books
were due to expire.  If they were not sent out on the 18th and you still
have one of them, then please forward it to me.  It's possible that since
you renewed between midnight and the time that the books expire, your
advanced notifications were sent out on the wrong day.  This is something
I'd planned to keep a watch on to see if it worked properly but hadn't
gotten around to checking since I not only have to be awake but remember to
check out a book around 2:05 am my time.

I've verified though that the advanced notification goes out on the correct
day if a book is downloaded/renewed between the time the books expire just
after midnight and the following day, or in other words, if a books
downloaded during the daytime.

HTH

Gerald