[bksvol-discuss] Re: Volunteers: how much work is realistic

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 09:43:09 -0400

People do not have to go through a book character by character, word by word. By using tools such as the spell checkers we all have, and the ranked spelling in k1000 you can get rid of a lot of scanning errors, particularly if you use the corrections lists.

E.

At 08:28 AM 9/9/2004, you wrote:

Hi listers,

I have been reading with some dismay the discussion regarding book validation. I volunteered my time, because I was under the impression that volunteers were needed. This is evident in the amount of books awaiting validation. I assumed that the job involved making sure that all title, author and copyright information were included and that they were accurate. I assumed that a spellcheck would be necessary to eliminate the OCR errors that crop up. The guidelines I was sent seemed to indicate this, and in fact, didn't even suggest spellcheck, although I think that would be necessary in even the most perfect scan.

However, from this list and the other Bookshare list, I am getting the feeling that anything less than going over each word and page number with a fine-tooth comb is not wanted. Now, I can't speak for any one else, but I am extremely anxious to help out at bookshare. However, when I scan my own books, I don't expect perfection. When I read Bookshare books, I don't expect perfection. OCR, can not, at least at this point in time, provide perfection. If people have the time to go through every character comprising a book, that's fine. Personally, I have a full-time job, a home, and a family. I don't have that kind of time, and frankly, if I did, I don't think I'd want to spend it in this manner. As an avid reader, I'd rather see more books available, then have less books to choose from and have them be perfect.

I would like the staff to make some kind of statement regarding this issue. If this kind of microscopic examination of each book is desired, then I suspect there may be less people willing to volunteer.

Personally, I still want to volunteer. However, if following the guidelines as they are, along with spellchecking is not acceptable, then I would like to know this. I certainly would not want to cause problems by releasing books that the staff does not deem acceptable. however, if a microscopic examination of each book is truly what is wanted, I think this needs to be made clear so that potential volunteers can make an informed decision.

thanks,

Paula