[bksvol-discuss] Re: Volunteers as Recruiters for New Bookshare Members?

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 18:33:21 -0500

Scott, there are some other key items that Roger mentioned and maybe others too, that I use all the time when encouraging others to become Bookshare members.

One is that a member can ask if volunteers will scan a book that they want to read that isn't already in the collection. If they want to make sure they get their wish fulfilled for a specific title, they can volunteer and help get it into the collection, or they can donate a printed copy of it directly to bookshare to scan for them.

That's a huge incentive to join (and to volunteer) for some people.

I know that for myself I've been a patron of NLS for about 20 years, and have yet to have NLS add to their collection one book that I've requested that they add. I finally gave up asking.

Another item I bring up is that books like NY Times top 10 Bestsellers are available incredibly fast, in hours (Potter books), days or a few weeks at most, instead of having to wait months (or years) for accessible editions through other venues.

Judy s.
 > Scott Rains wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I just met with Bookshare's Marketing Department. They would
like your advice and your help.

Marketers are always watching trends and asking questions
about ow to change them. They have noticed several positive
trends:

Your levels of engagement The fact we have about 100,000 books
and 100,000 members The increase in numbers of new adult
members

They are wondering:

What do you say to your friend, or anyone else who you think
would benefit from Bookshare, when you recommend that they
join? Would you be willing to reach out to a handful of people
you know to encourage people to join Bookshare? Would it help
if you could offer them a free trial month as a "holiday gift"
from you?

Let me know here on list and I will communicate your responses
to them.

Thanks!

'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line.  To get a list of
available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the
subject line.