[bksvol-discuss] Re: Volunteers as Recruiters for New Bookshare Members?

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 02:21:58 -0500

Hi Scott,

I've been making it a point to talk to parents who are in local
school PTAs about Bookshare.  I've found that as a group their
ears perk up when they find out that the school's disabled
students can access textbooks, non-fiction and fiction for free. I always tell them about the number of books, that there isn't any special equipment needed other than the typical home or school computer a disabled child would ordinarily use and that they books are available in a variety of formats. Mentioning the Department of Education grant seems to be a helpful point in making parents take a look at it.

I also touch base regularly with our local libraries, and just
talked our new Director of Library services into putting a link
to Bookshare on the public libary site.  Hurray!

What I found got her hooked was the depth and breadth of
well-respected children's books in the collection. Being able to
point her to the Newbery lists, the fact that all the Potter
books are there, and especially the books for young readers is
what really caught her attention.

I've also found it critical to be able to point parents and
librarians and school teachers to the information on the
Bookshare site that explains why Bookshare is legal. That always comes up.

Judy s.

Scott Rains wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I just met with Bookshare's Marketing Department. They would
like your advice and your help.

Marketers are always watching trends and asking questions
about ow to change them. They have noticed several positive
trends:

Your levels of engagement The fact we have about 100,000 books
and 100,000 members The increase in numbers of new adult
members

They are wondering:

What do you say to your friend, or anyone else who you think
would benefit from Bookshare, when you recommend that they
join? Would you be willing to reach out to a handful of people
you know to encourage people to join Bookshare? Would it help
if you could offer them a free trial month as a "holiday gift"
from you?

Let me know here on list and I will communicate your responses
to them.

Thanks!

'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line.  To get a list of
available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the
subject line.