[bksvol-discuss] Re: Volunteering for bookshare

  • From: "Jamie Yates, CPhT" <jamieyates@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 05:37:23 -0800 (PST)

I think becoming a validator requires a little more hand holding than just
pointing someone to the sign up page, if the validator is sighted. If the
person is already print disabled, he or she is used to (I assume) reading books
in a different format.  That's why I was suggesting that if anyone "advertises"
for new volunteers, that they be directed to an existing volunteer who is
willing to do a little hand holding and not just say see bookshare.org for more
details.

  When I became a volunteer, even though I understood about Bookshare, I was
scared to death to try to validate something. The process sounds so complicated
when really it's not, if you just know what to do. And while the manual is
good, it's not complete (if it were, we wouldn't have all the questions on the
list that we do).

  What I was envisioning was something like:

  Do you love to read books? Would you enjoy proof reading digital books to
make them accessible to people with print disabilities? Become a volunteer for
Bookshare, and have the opportunity to read books while you're helping others.
Volunteers need a computer, internet connection, and a word processing program
such as Word, Works, Word Perfect or Open Office. For more information, contact
[fill in the blank].

Jamie in Michigan
Currently Reading - Snipped in the Bud by Kate Collins
I'm an eBay affiliate! Please click my link before you bid: Find hard to find
items on eBay!