[bksvol-discuss] Re: Volunteering for Bookshare

  • From: "siss52" <siss52@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2008 15:29:22 -0500

Hi folks,

Here's my story. When I first found out about bookshare.org, I visited the
site just to see what books were available.  When I found some books that I,
as a deaf/blind person had not been able to read on tape after the hearing
loss, I decided I just HAD TO JOIN!!!

Shortly after my membership was approved I signed up as a volunteer, not
sure just what I could do for bookshare.  I wanted to donate my services,
and give my credits to Bookshare so that someone who could not afford the
fee would have a subscription.  "Volunteering," I wrote, "is just
that--volunteering with the rewards of helping with the collection."

I was told this was unacceptable for members, and that if I wanted to donate
I could donate money.  I reluctantly agreed to help and get credit for it,
and have been doing this work for wow!  about 5 years!!!

I think we have quite a lovely group of people, and I enjoy the lists as
well as validating and reading.

THANKS TO ALL!!!!

Sue S.