[bksvol-discuss] Re: Volunteering for Bookshare

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2008 14:36:38 -0400

Hi Lorie and All,

I now have been volunteering for Bookshare now going on gosh, six years or
maybe six and a half, will be in November anyway.

I have always been a giving person and loved volunteering but like all of you
finding something that I could volunteer at, and something I could do well was
difficult to almost impossible to find until I went to college.  That is when
the world opened up.  I did a lot of things in those years I never dreamed I
could.

I discovered bookshare, well I think from a list serv I was on at that point
and decided to poke around it for curiosity.  I saw a couple of books that were
requested that I had sitting on my hard drive, had scanned them for school, and
wrote Jessie at the time how to submit them.

That was 940 books ago.  And both have been replaced, thank goodness, as my
scans were pretty bad back then.

One thing that I have truly loved, is that volunteering for me, is also a way
to show people what I am capable of.  All the volunteering I have done in the
past did not pay me a thing, but... I was able to acrew the ammount of
experience I needed to get my present job!

I love giving back, finding new authors, and I am one of those people who
enjoys scanning, but really doesn't like validating, so am really happy you all
are willing to do it.

Smile.

Here is to many more years with Bookshare.  P.S. I also never paid Bookshare
for a membership, every year, at first because I didn't have the money, and now
because I have so many credits.  That doesn't mean I don't send books in, or
buy books to scan.

My parents would say I have way to many books, smile, but ah what do they know,
smile wink.

Shelley L. Rhodes, M.A., VRT
And Guinevere: Golden Lady Guide Dog
guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx