[bksvol-discuss] Volunteer List Rules -- history regarding OT posts and list etiquette

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2012 23:01:45 -0600

A bit of background here, regarding the off topic discussions, that might be helpful.

The list rules that are attached to this list on the Freelists server are the original rules that were put up when the list was created back in Bookshare's ancient history. Those rules have been amended, clarified, added to, etc. by the last three volunteer coordinators (and probably even before that). Anyone who wants can dig through the list archives and find all those posts, if you're enough of a masochist. (Kidding about the masochist bit. Well, sort of kidding. grin. Going through the list archives is a real pain).

Unfortunately, since Freelists (bluntly) stinks when it comes to doing administrative tasks for anyone who is a moderator of a list there, the version of the list rules that's listed on the freelist server was never changed to reflect those amendments, clarifications etc., making it quite outdated.

I'll paste below an excerpt from a bigger post regarding list etiquette regarding what's appropriate posting here, that Scott Rains laid out as the rules for volunteers to follow on the volunteer list the last time the off topic posts turned into an issue. Perhaps this might be useful as input for the review of how OT posts and more are handled going forward.

Judy s.