[bksvol-discuss] Volunteer Bio #2: What I Have Learned as a Bookshare Volunteer Book-by-Book

  • From: Scott Rains <scottr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 16:41:52 -0700

Volunteers,

About this time last year I began to invite members of this list to write up
short bios addressing three questions:

How long have you been a Bookshare volunteer?
What inspired you to become a Bookshare volunteer?
Why do you remain as a Bookshare volunteer?

Many people wrote up answers. If you are new and you would like to answer these
questions, please do. Send what you write to me directly at scottr@xxxxxxxxxxxx
I wil share it with this list and with Marketing to share more broadly.

If you have already written you Bookshare Volunteer Bio I have another
opportunity for you. Tell us what you learned about scanning or proofing and
give us the title of the book you were working on as you learned it. It's a
chance to remember some old books - or maybe some old struggles you were hoping
to forget.

You could run through a list of book titles and be as terse as Confucius:

In the Analects (2:4), Confucius is recorded as summarizing his life's learning
this way:

"At 15 I set my heart on learning; at 30 I firmly took my stand; at 40 I had no
delusions; at 50 I knew the Mandate of Heaven; at 60 my ear was attuned; at 70
I followed my heart's desire without overstepping the boundaries of right."

Another approach might be to group the skills you mastered by difficulty level
according to the list below. Then match the skills up with the title of he book
that caused you to master that skill.

Or maybe you can come up with another approach all together. The idea is to
share something of the order in which we learned different scanning and
proofing skills, see if skills any stand out as particularly difficult, and
remember some of our earlier books.

What books taught you which skills as a scanner or proofer?

Scott Rains
Benetech Fellow

Bookshare's Levels of Difficulty in Scanning or Proofing a Book

Levels are assigned to all books, to determine their overall difficulty in
proofing. 1 is the easiest type of book to proof, and 6 is the hardest. The
time it takes to proof a book depends on its level and its length.

Level 1: The book has only text, chapter numbers, and page numbers, in a
standard font.

Level 2: The book has running headers or footers, in a standard font, on at
least half the pages.

Level 3: The book has page numbers or running headers in a non-standard font,
footnotes, superscripts, captions, charts, or more than a few words in a
foreign language, poems, or pictures.

Level 3.5: The book has pictures that need to be described. This is mostly used
for childrens’ picture books.

Level 4: The book has many words in a foreign language, many pictures, many
charts, or insets.

Level 5: The book has many areas of separate text on each page, formulas, text
that forces scans with differing brightness (like different colors), or heavily
formatted text.

Level 6: The book has text in a non-standard font (which forces the book to be
retyped), text at a non-horizontal angle, or massively formatted text.