[bksvol-discuss] Re: Very Outdated Bookshare Listings on NLS

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 08:29:57 -0700

Thanks, Gerald.  I didn't mean to imply that Bookshare wasn't making the
information available, but something more along the lines that someone at
Bookshare might want to talk to whomever at NLS to find out what the problem is.

Also, I hadn't thought about the circulation issue.  It certainly may be true
in my case, though.  Since I am now getting books from Bookshare that will be
out eventually from NLS, I won't be borrowing them from my regional library.
Considering how often I have to go on a waiting list for books from there,
however, I don't have much sympathy for them if they lose circulation in this
neighborhood at least, since they apparently can't keep up with the demand as
it is.  I do see though that this might be a possible problem in other parts of
the country.

Still, I would wonder what the point is of having the listings at all then.  I
suppose it is better to have some rather than none, but personally, I would
rather have none than this half-baked version.

I will attempt to check on some listings from RFB&D to see how current they are
on the NLS database.  If what you say about possible efforts to protect their
circulation is true, then either their listings should be behind as well, or if
they are more current than Bookshare's, their efforts at protecting their
circulation are slipshod.  However, it may also be true that they don't see
their patrons borrowing from RFB&D as cutting into their circulation as much as
patrons downloading books from Bookshare, since RFB&D's target audience is
somewhat different.  Either way, Bookshare suffers, and the question arises as
to why the database was set up in the first place if Bookshare is seen as a
possible problem for them.  Perhaps it didn't occur to them at the time, but
did later.

Thanks.