[bksvol-discuss] Re: Validation questions: page numbers, chapter headings

  • From: "Allison Hilliker" <bookshare_girl@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 15:00:32 -0700

Hi Ann,

I'm always thrilled when a volunteer reads a validation all the way threw
before upload.  I think this method insures the best quality books possible.
While it may not be required, I think it's wonderful when volunteers choose
to use this method of editing.  I always read the entire book through when
I'm validating.  I've read books where I've only had to fix two errors in
the entire book, and I've had books, like the one I'm working on now, where
there is one error in practically every line.  Regardless of the scan
quality or Kurzweil rating, the only way to know for sure whether a
book is excellent quality is to read it through.

For example, I once had a book where every single quotation mark scanned as
an apostrophe.  I don't know why that happened, but it did.  The book was
completely correct in just about every other way, but was annoying to read
because JAWS read every quote as an apostrophe.  That was for me very
annoying to listen to so I decided to fix it.  I don't think I could have
found that error if I hadn't read the book.    Since the book was
technically correct, no spell-check program would have alerted me to the
issue.

I've been validating for more than three years and I've encountered dozens
of other scanner errors that I didn't feel as if I would have found if
I hadn't read the book.  So that's what I always try to do.

Best,
Allison

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ann Parsons" <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>