[bksvol-discuss] Re: Validating books you hate

  • From: Shannon Curry <shannon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 00:40:04 -0600

Thanks, Judy.

I did look at the checkout list and saw there were books from two years ago still there. I feel much less bad now!

Shannon
At 11:53 PM 2/16/2010, Judy s. wrote:
Hi Shannon, don't worry about releasing a book you discover you hate. smile. I've released several myself that were great scans, but turned out to be so definitely not my cup of tea that I couldn't stand proofreading them. grin.

Books just stay on the list until someone finally proofreads them or they get rejected (which only happens if they are bad scans). I've seen some hang around for at least a year, and probably longer.

Usually, if someone needs the credits, they ask someone to volunteer to proof it if it's sat there too long.

Judy s.

Shannon Curry wrote:
Hi, all,
Not owning a scanner, I've been dipping into validating books. Thankfully, the ones I've picked so far have been good scans and generally easy to work with. However, recently I checked out a book that had been awaiting validation since early December. All was going well--the scan looked awesome and I was able to fix a few formatting issues. But I couldn't stand it. The writing was awful, the dialogue contrived, and after stopping and starting it three times, I finally gave up in despair and released it for someone else. Does anyone else ever have this problem? And now I have awful validator guilt. I mean, it's been up since early December, and the poor submitter probably really wants his/her credits since s/he worked really hard at scanning the book. So I guess my question is... how long do books sit unloved and unvalidated before someone from Bookshare does it or the system automatically rejects them? And am I the only one that suffers from this insane guilt? (OK... probably I am, but hey, what's the Internet for if not for airing our neuroses in public?)
Shannon
Who is off to find a book she will hopefully like more