[bksvol-discuss] Validating books you hate

  • From: Shannon Curry <shannon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 23:08:47 -0600

Hi, all,

Not owning a scanner, I've been dipping into validating books. Thankfully, the ones I've picked so far have been good scans and generally easy to work with.

However, recently I checked out a book that had been awaiting validation since early December. All was going well--the scan looked awesome and I was able to fix a few formatting issues. But I couldn't stand it. The writing was awful, the dialogue contrived, and after stopping and starting it three times, I finally gave up in despair and released it for someone else.

Does anyone else ever have this problem? And now I have awful validator guilt. I mean, it's been up since early December, and the poor submitter probably really wants his/her credits since s/he worked really hard at scanning the book.

So I guess my question is... how long do books sit unloved and unvalidated before someone from Bookshare does it or the system automatically rejects them? And am I the only one that suffers from this insane guilt? (OK... probably I am, but hey, what's the Internet for if not for airing our neuroses in public?)

Shannon
Who is off to find a book she will hopefully like more