[bksvol-discuss] Validating a txt document

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 17:30:34 -0700 (PDT)

For the first time I'm validating a txt document and
leaving it as it is, i.e., I let it save as a txt
document after making changes in a different font. The
one time I did a txt before, I'd converted it to Word,
 did the whole thing in Word, saved as it an rtf
document, then found I couldn't upload it as rtf so I
converted back to txt and noticed that all the line
breaks disappeared --but Ididn't notice anything else.
Now, following someones's advice (Kelley? Donna? Jana?
sorry I don't remember who), I saved what I'd done and
reopened to see what it looked like.

I found that not only are the page breaks not saved,
(which is o.k. because I can put  a line space on
either side of the page number and note in the long
synopsis that the page number appears at the bottom of
each page) but the em dashes don' t appear as em
dashes, at least to my eyes; they just look like
regular dashes (the document reverts to Courier New
10). Will they be em dashes when bookshare converts
the file to BRF and Daisy or whatever bookshare does
with books? This time I left a space om either side of
the dash so they don't look like hyphens, anyway. The
text file had nothing where the em dash belongs, not
even a regular dash, but it did retain the mark when I
closed.

Also, the italicized words weren't retained as
italicized. Will they be italicized when bookshare
converts the file to a different form? Evenif Ic an't
see them as that in the txt file, will they be
emphasized by an audio reader, or shouldn't I bother
italicizing? I've noticed in the past, when I read to
myself, that the structure of the sentence often
causes one to emphasize words which are italicized,
which is what causes me to check the book and see that
the word needs to be italicized.

I've download another txt book also to validate (both
are marked  Fair),so I need instructions as to how to
handle them. Up till now I've only done rtf documents,
which are just like Word.

Thanks for your advice.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/backtoschool