[bksvol-discuss] Re: Validating Fair Books

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <GeraldHovas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 11:18:54 -0500

Lora,

K-1000 gives you this same functionality with its Ranked Spelling feature.
Although, it wouldn't necessarily produce the same percentage as Bookshare
since they would be using different spelling dictionaries.

I doubt there should be any problem with canceling an acceptance on the
second page of the process since Bookshare expects you to press a second
button to complete the process, but I wouldn't recommend doing it very often
since everyone doing this would bog down the Bookshare system.

Keep in mind that this only tells you the percentage of correctly spelled
words in the book, which can be misleading since the quality of the book is
also affected by missing text, missing page numbers, and missing page
breaks.  Since the tools probably ignore nonalphabetic characters-with the
possible exception of the apostrophe-then they probably don't give you a
clear indication of how much garbage is also in the book.

The best judge of quality is still the reader.

HTH

Gerald

  _____