[bksvol-discuss] Re: VAT's proposed change to adult rating system

  • From: "EVAN REESE" <mentat3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 12:19:03 -0400

The VAT proposal is not about screening books, it is about informing readers. I thought you were all in favor of that.

Evan

----- Original Message ----- From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
From: Judy s. <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] VAT's proposed change to adult rating system
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sunday, March 28, 2010, 12:48 PM
Because numerous problems around the
adult rating system have come up frequently the following
was proposed by the Volunteer Advisory Team to
Bookshare. It is currently under consideration by
Bookshare for implementation.

From VAT to Bookshare:

Based on discussions on the volunteer booklist, and amongst
ourselves, we,
the volunteer advisory team, would like to request that
Bookshare make the
following changes to the book rating system:

1. Both submitters and proofreaders should have the ability
to make
decisions concerning a book's content status.
2. That three checkboxes indicating whether or not a book
has "strong
language", "descriptions of sexual situations" and
"violence" either replace
the current method of rating a book as adult or not, or be
developed in
addition to the current adult rating structure.
3. That the results of these checkboxes be placed
prominently on the new
books list, most popular books list and book searches, any
screen that shows
multiple books as well as on the book information screen.
4. That options can be configured in My Account, so
that a user can elect
not to be presented with titles that have been marked as
containing strong
language, explicit descriptions of sex or violence.
and
5. That Bookshare publish guidelines, including, but
not necessarily
limited to a complete list of words which the tools
consider to indicate
adult content, for volunteers to employ when making
these designations, so
that as much as possible of the subjectivity can be
 removed.

Judy s, co-chair, VAT

line. To get a list of available commands, put the