[bksvol-discuss] Using Open Library for sneak peeks

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 15:31:11 -0600

Hi All,

Just a FYI, probably mostly for any sighted volunteers. I've been using Open Library (link: http://www.openlibrary.org) as another resource to help when trying to find a page image of a book I'm proofreading that the scanner doesn't have available any longer, or other problems where a sighted proofreader can help.

You have to search on the site to see if they have a book and if the scanned copy they have can be borrowed. Many are only available as encrypted DAISY files (which, by the way, work with the NLS or equivalent book readers, as I think Roger has pointed out in the past). But if they have it -- and they now have over 3 million books available that have been scanned -- every page image for the book can be viewed online. I'm finding it's especially helpful when proofreading older books that are out of print that I can't find on google books or amazon's sneak peek. You must sign up to be a member to borrow electronic copies of books from them in this fashion, but membership is free and isn't the least bit intrusive. You don't need any special software to view the book images either. They have a really nice online reader that works with all browsers (haven't tested it myself on a mac, but it's supposed to work fine with macs too).

Judy s.