[bksvol-discuss] Re: Using Library Catalog System

  • From: "Amy Goldring Tajalli" <agoldringtajalli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 19:33:16 -0400

I can agree with you up to a point and that is that of all the gothic and general horror fiction I have read he is greater where the mystery is concerned which is why for some he is so frightening. The Mask of the Red Death, even though you know what is coming, still has you holding your breath by the end. It was more of a mystery in the 19th century than it is to a modern reader since most of us are educated at least a little in history and know about the plague though most of us know it as the Black Death. Even though there are some treatments for it, it is still terrifying. And now we have somany more plagues to frighten us.

To me, the ones I cannot read or watch as films are the ones that seem to deliberately try to nauseate us. My ex husband was a great fran of the Night of the LIving Death and its sequels and though I lived in Pittsburgh and new some of the people in the movie I had no desire to see it. The 5th in that series came out while I was married and I found myself unable to get out of going with him and his brother and it is still unique as the only movie I ever sat through with my eyes closed. The noises were enough to make me gag but I don't know which were worse, the noices in the movie or in the audience.

At lease Poe makes us use his brains. The only mysteries I enjoy these days are ones I see on PBS. I never figure out who-done-it and I have given up trying to figure it out in books. I don't enjoy frustration. Now I had a mother and have a sister who love them as pure escapism .I'll escape with science fiction, especially psi-ence fiction like Alfred Bester wrote, or some of Rod Serling or Harlan Ellison though he wrote a few of the tales that gave me nightmares - literally. And there is also Tolkien to reread, or Mary Stewart or even C.S.Lewis. Then I can read new "stuff" amongst the old gold. [ Ellison's titles are warnings or invitations so you can tell by the titles what you don't want to read. Also Serling & Bradbury so jump in.]

For Poe, I don't know if even Lithium would have helped. There is a theory, and not as silly as some believe, that Poe's genetic makeup was such that his system converted starches not just into sugar but, in part to alcohol so his "drunken-ness", what has long been believed to be alcoholism was not caused by drinking alcohol. I did not believe this at first but I have heard enough to know that the human body with it enzymes and hormones can cause strange reactions. I have a hormone which causes me to retain sodium and, therefore, fluid. But normal blood tests would have me and the doctors believe I had too little sodium in my system and one almost killed me by pumping full of 15% saline and water. I finally took the IV out of my arm, went home and took a pill to make me lose the fluid. 24 hours later I was fine and I now know to balance my low salt diet with a low fluid diet as the hormone put the sodium into my cells and not my blood stream. All I knew was everything I ate or drank tasted like brine and I knew it had to be the sodium whatever the blood test said. Poe could never have understood let alone made anyone believe the ideathat he was not drimking himself to death, e may not have known what was giong on, but just struggle with what was going on in his life. Lilthium might have helped him control his depression but it might not have changed anything else. What was bad fortne for Poe was, Ironically, good for us in that it left a marvelous body of writing.

We all know too much these days to be overly surprised or stumped by fictionall mysteries. Every member of Bookshare knows something about disabilities and the things that can cause them , And we know about some of the miracles, or whatever you choose to call them, that save people from even worse things. I am not being a Pollyanna but I am reminded, and I don't remember the source, of the philosopher who was asked for a sentence that was true in all situation s and the answer still is true: This too shall pass.

Monica, I think thses last few weeks I have been catching up on the non-conversations I have had over the last20 years so you will have to forgive and just stop reading when you have had enough.

Amy
----- Original Message ----- From: "Monica Willyard" <plumlipstick@xxxxxxxxxx>