[bksvol-discuss] Re: Using Library Catalog System

  • From: "Amy Goldring Tajalli" <agoldringtajalli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 15:46:30 -0400

Sorry folks but the honor of inventing both the first true mystery (story and
poem) and detective story go to Edgar Allen Poe.  While the British like to
claim to be the originators of almost all types of literature and certainly
have perfected some, they neither created nor perfected these two but they were
the precursors of some. The first detective story was  his "The Murders in the
Rue Morgue" with August Dupon.  There is some debate about the first detective
but this was the first true detective story written in 1841, followed by "The
Gold Bug" and "The Mystery of Marie Roget".  Godwin and others had element of
the detective stories but Poe pulled them all together. As for the first
mystery story one can look at "The Fall of the House of Usher".  Unlike the
Gothic literature which has elements of the mysterious the are not true
mysteries and all of the elements get explained rationally by the end.  Now
with the House of Usher we are left not knowing what was or was not real and
what really caused the "fall". Many of Poe's stories leave us wondering, to
quote another poet, "was it truth or illusion or . . ."* what? The true mystery
leaves us wondering though more modern writers bow to modern readers who want
answers. Even before he wrote the mystery story Poe wrote the mystery poems one
need only look to "The Raven".

Amy
omst
*The quotations is from Louis Untermeyer's "At the Bottom of the Well"