[bksvol-discuss] Re: User cannot download NIMAC sourced book

  • From: "Donna Goodin" <goodind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 14:47:27 -0500

Hi Darrell,

I agree with you about Jim being an authority and Bookshare "fighting the
good fight", so to speak.  However, I'm also very cynnical about publishers.
My husband is the director of the office for Services for Students with
Disabilities at the University of Michigan, and has done a lot of work with
text accessibility for college students.  He was heavily involved in the
passage of what is known here as the Barbara Bill, a Michigan law requiring
publishers to provide etext to college students.  He's also served on a
number of other panels and groups that have explored and worked with these
issues.  More often than not, the publishers are rather intractible, and
when they do allow access, they control it within an inch of its life.
Though in general, i agree with you about the power of being up-beat and
positive, it takes more than that to get these guys to loosen the reigns.
In this climate of peer-to-peer data sharing, paranoia around controling
access to copyrighted material, be it music or text, is rampant.

  My own position is also frustrating.  I teach Spanish at the college
level.  While many publishers now provide etext to college students, those
same publishers see absolutely no reason to provide access to those of us
who teach.  I was actually working with a publisher last September around
getting access to a text book.  I was fortunate because one of the book's
co-authors also teaches in my department, and contacted the publisher
requesting that they provide me access to the book.  They actually had the
teacher's edition--which they usually don't--and gave me access to it.  But
they also said that after I had used the book they were going to destroy the
teacher's edition, because the law only covers student access. *sigh*

We've got a long way to go yet, and I fear that the only way the publishers
will go there is kicking and screaming.  I think the passage of a federal
law would be the best way to address many of these issues.  If I find out
more about the law my husband mentioned this morning, I'll share it with the
list.
Best,
Donna