[bksvol-discuss] Update on Checkout Queue Problem When Showing 100 Records

  • From: Scott Rains <scottr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 14:17:32 -0800

The short answer to why we have trouble when we try to show 100 records in the
Checkout Queue is that it takes too long and the server shuts down the process.
From one of Benetech's Engineers comes the following with more detail:

It turns out this is a known issue for many volunteer queues. The database
query that supplies the book lists is a downright beast, and taming it is
not possible in the short term. We have a new search engine that can be
used to update the volunteer queues, though that work has yet to be
scheduled.

Bottom-line: when a volunteer views the queues with 100 records to a page,
the query takes nearly 3 minutes. Unfortunately, there is a 2-minute
timeout on the server and the volunteers wait 2 minutes only to get an
error message.

So short-term workaround is to advise volunteers to use smaller page
sizes, like 25 or 50 records to a page.

A medium-term workaround is being worked on -- we are going to increase
the timeout value on the volunteer pages to 4 minutes.

The long-term fix is to switch to [a new search method but we] don't have any
sense of when that will be put into place.

Scott Rains