[bksvol-discuss] Re: Up the Down Staircase

  • From: socly@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 18:15:33 -0500

--Well, I'm not going to type it if it won't scan -- it's 340 pages. And when I
get to it, I'll do the first edition,
which has fewer introductory pages. Is your son reading the paperback, with a
new introduction by the
author? What grade is he in? I wonder if the teacher assigned or recommended it
so that the students
will have more sympathy or empathy for teachers and realize that they're human.

I copied this from my library catalog -- I thought it was interesting -- I
never expected it to be so widely
popular.

"In its 47 printings, Up the Down Staircase has sold more than 6 million
copies, has been translated into
16 languages, and made into a prize-winning motion picture. This funny and
touching story of a
committed, idealistic high school teacher is now availble in trade paperback,
with a new introduction by
the author."