[bksvol-discuss] Universe 2

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2017 15:27:00 -0400

I get the impression that a lot of proofreaders do not read the submitter's comments, so I thought I would stop by and repeat my comments on the book I just submitted in case someone on this list takes it for proofreading. The book is Universe 2 edited by Robert Silverberg and Karen Haber. It is not as poor a scan as it looks to be. There are a lot of really weird made up words in there. For example, in one story there is a character with the name Sha!n. Yes, that is an exclamation point in the middle of the word. There are a lot of others too. I will add that it was a difficult scan too. The closer I got to the middle of the book the more often I found parts of words, whole words and even entire phrases missing. Upon rescanning those words would show up, but then other words would be missing. I finally figured out that the problem was that the book was too thick and even when holding it wide open there was a bit of a curl in the pages just next to the trough and so the ends of lines were being cut off. After I figured that out I started scanning one page at a time and standing up putting practically my whole body weight on the spine area. Then the scan started to improve. Frankly, though, I have been working on this one so long that I feel almost at a loss that I have finally finished it. If any of you like anthologies of really well written science fiction stories you should grab it. If you don't want to have to figure out what is a scanning error and what is a made up wacky word then you might want to pass.

To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email to
bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line.  To get a list of
available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the subject line.