[bksvol-discuss] Re: Unique antique book problem with pagination

  • From: misha <mishatronics@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 06:27:10 -0800

I would just move all the captions to the end of the book even if they refer to text on a specific page in order to keep the page numbering correct. And when I do that I don't save any page breaks, especially for the blank side of picture pages. I just put many captions on each of those pages after the end of the book.

Although it is not what I do, I think putting the caption with [picture caption ... ] around it at the end of the page before where the picture actually occurs, would be ok, as well.

Misha

On 2/22/2015 4:39 AM, Valerie Maples wrote:
I need help on how to handle a unique pagination problem from within an antique book. Sandi Ryan and I have been working on some books that were published long ago (I'm guessing they are public domain since copyright is 1888), but it presents a unique pagination problem. It periodically has pictures inserted that apply to the specific area that they are in, but the picture is on an unnumbered page, the backside is blank, and pagination continues. In other words there is a text page say number 24, a picture page with no number, the backside is blank, and then the next text page is number 25. Moving the pictures to the end of the book would not be appropriate since the captions or descriptions are appropriate with where they are placed. How do I number such situations or do I just remove the page break and not worry about the blank back side since it would further complicate things and does not need accounting for in the pagination. I could simply remove the pictures and captions since the captions are direct quotes from the text and the text very well describes the sketches, but I always hate to do that since it seems like removing something that the author placed there even if I can't describe the picture any better than her writing does.

All help greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Valerie
Sent from iCloud, please forgive any speech recognition errors.