[bksvol-discuss] Re: Understanding the volunteer process

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 23:25:24 -0700 (PDT)

To answer your last question first, yes. After we
validate a book and approve (or reject) it and upload
it, an administrator checks it over to see if
everything complies with the copyright law, e.g., if
the copyright info is correct. Unfortunately,
volunteers can't help with this because of possible
liability issues if something goes wrong. It has to be
a paid employee. I even suggested that perhaps they
could pay me a dollar a year and I could do it, but no
luck. smile

Yes, I believe that once you are officially a
volunteer there are instructions, which are going to
be revised, I believe--made a little more explicit.
Unfortunately, they only give the minimum of what
needs to be done, and when the minimum is
done--checking that all the pages are there and that
the copyright info is accurate, and maybe that junk
characters are deleted--the book isn't necessarily in
the bedst of shape. Many of us actually read the books
and correct them as we go. Even the vaunted K1000's
ranked spelling won't catch incomplete  or cut-off
sentences or the wrong  word for the context that is
correctly spelled, of the arabic numeral one that
often shows p instead of capital eye. If a person
likes to read, and downloads a book for validation
that he/she would like to read, reading and correcting
as you go is not a chore. Don't be discouraged by the
statement that your book will expire in seven days. It
can be renewed as often as is necessary, so one can
validate without pressure.

I hope you join us in validating. We can use all the
help we can get. smile

Cindy