[bksvol-discuss] Re: Two ^p's?

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 19:51:36 -0500

Hi Christina, You've got it exactly right. One paragraph mark is just a new line, but not a blank line.

For the sighted reader, printed books do not have a blank line between paragraphs. However, they do have a blank line between page numbers and text because that makes it easier for the eye to scan and sort of ignore page numbers without interruption in the flow of the text, while still having them there if you need them, if that makes any sense.

Hmm, how to translate that into something that sort of makes sense... how about this?

Putting a blank line between a page number and the contents of a page is sort of like the pause in music between the main verse and the refrain. You really don't pay attention to the pause, but it's there if you need it, and sort of helps your ear and brain distinguish the verse from the refrain. It maintains continuity without breaking up the flow or running them together.

Judy s.
Christina wrote:
Hi, Mayrie.
Thanks for the info.
So, one paragraph mark is just a new line but not a blank one then? And two are an actual blank line?
Think I've got it now.
Thanks.
Christina