[bksvol-discuss] Two easy books submitted

  • From: juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 23:30:43 -0400 (EDT)

You know, I have over four hundred titles sitting on my CF card to be
prevalidated.  I could flood the download page with them, but I don't think
the quality would be what it could be.

But here are two books in as good as shape as I could make them.

Knitting with the Knifty Knitter
By Provo Craft and Novelty, Inc.

Directions on how to use a knitting loom and provides patterns for golf club
covers, toat bags, scarfs, hats, and much more.  Also explains simple and
double crochet.

Fireworks Tonight!

This is a good book for all ages, and one of the few I found in circulation
on the topic, that weren't on chemistry, or about the Zambelli family.  But
worth the read, even for those of us who only get to enjoy the sound of
them.  Still quite cool.

From the Book Jacket:

Streams of sparks and sprays of colored stars light up the dark sky,
thundering blasts echo all around ...
FIREWORKS TONIGHT!
For centuries man has been playing with fire with dazzling, sometimes dire,
results-and few things have as much power to astound and in trigue us.
Martha Brenner's research has turned up a wealth of fascinating information
on the world of pyrotechnics. She covers the history of fireworks from the
primitive firecrackers developed some 2000 years ago in China to the
breathtaking special effects of today, the tragic accidents that have led to
current laws regulating their use, the intriguing step-by-step development
of a modern fireworks show from the drawing board to the actual shooting.
How are fireworks made? Very carefully! And almost entirely by hand, because
metal machinery produces heat and static electricity that could easily
ignite an entire building full of explosives. Who makes fireworks? Most are
manufactured by a handful of dynamic, devoted families that have passed on
their tricks and trademarks for generations. Fireworks Tonight! gives us
profiles of them and their particular pyrotechnical styles. How do fireworks
work? Martha Brenner explains that, too-in clear, scientific detail.
And there's more. Fireworks Tonight! includes a trip behind the scenes at a
fireworks show, a visit to a manufacturing plant, a section on safety, a
list of the 50 states' current laws on their sale and use, an illustrated
spectators' guide-to help fire works fans tell a roman candle from a rocket
and a list of notable fireworks facts: the biggest display in history, the
loudest, the longest .. .
Generously illustrated with over 60 photo graphs and prints, Fireworks
Tonight! is a lively, accurate, and comprehensive introduction to a subject
of universal appeal.

MARTHA FUNT BRENNER'S extensive research for Fireworks Tonight! led her far
beyond the books and periodicals available on the subject. Before she was
done, she had interviewed fireworks manufacturers whose families have been
making and producing fireworks displays for generations and toured a major
factory, learning about all aspects of the work. She also contacted
nationally known pyrotechnic experts for advice on technical and scientific
information, and safety procedures. Finally, she went "behind the firing
line" at actual fireworks shows-a real adventure for Mrs. Brenner, who now
says she'd rather leave the fuse-lighting to someone else.
Martha Brenner graduated in English from Marietta College in Ohio, was an
editor in New York for several years, and is now an advertising writer and
administrator for Barclays American Corporation. She lives in Charlotte,
North Carolina with her husband and two sons.

Shelley L. Rhodes B.S. Ed, CTVI
and Judson, guiding golden
juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.