[bksvol-discuss] Re: Two Questions from a New Volunteer

  • From: "Deborah Murray" <blinkeeblink@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2014 20:22:17 -0400

Hi Chris,

Looking over your last couple messages, I think perhaps you're putting yourself
through a process that is no longer in place.

As Lissi indicated earlier, many of us were volunteering long before Bookshare
had a volunteer training program, so we never used the training books. The
program was only in place for a couple years and then seemed like it just faded
away.

Late last year we had a "jiffy proofer" in our midst (another story
altogether), and in a series of off-list emails to Madeleine, I brought up the
issue of a training program for new volunteers and what happened to the one we
had. She told me that currently staff didn't have the time or resources to
devote to looking over the training books new volunteers were turning in, so
the program had been put on hold.

There hasn't been any notice given to us on the volunteer list that anything
new has been put in place. It seems like some of us long-time volunteers could
help with training new volunteers to take the load off staff.

Hopefully Madeleine will have some answers tomorrow on whether we still have
any sort of volunteer training program, as well as when we might expect an
updated manual.

In the meantime, welcome to Bookshare and this group of Deranged
Perfectionists, have a good time, and don't get too stressed out about anything
you encounter. There's always someone here to help you out.

Deborah