[bksvol-discuss] Two Halloween Books, Scottish, Welsh influenced

  • From: "EVAN REESE" <mentat3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 22:20:56 -0400

Dear Courtney and Booksharian Friends,

Here are two books for light Halloween reading you might like.

Yesterday I checked in On Hallows' Eve, a fast-moving contemporary fantasy for
middle-schoolers about a girl with no friends who comforts herself by thinking
of her Welsh heritage and being related to Morgan le Fay

Here's the long and short of the blurbs.

Sixth-grader Meg from England and proud of her Welsh background, is picked on
at school, but she's not so nice either. On Halloween night, lost in a strange
dangerous land, she can choose to show courage and claim her Celtic gifts and
better self in this nonstop adventure.

Meg hates her new school. Then again, she has never liked any of her schools.
She always feels like an outsider wherever she goes, as if she doesn't really
fit in. But then fleeing a Halloween party and four bullies with her popular,
smart sister, Susan, Meg stumbles upon a passageway between her world and one
ruled by witches. Could this be where she belongs? If so, is there any way she
can stop the Dark Queen's yearly sacrifice? If she can't, she might be stuck
there forever with a heart that grows colder every year whether she belongs or
not!

and today's book, Mr. McFadden's Hallowe'en. It was told in thick, Scottish
dialect and was copyrighted in 1975 when authors didn't have to apologize for
writing blissfully happy endings.

Its short and long blurbs follow.

Sixth-grader Meg from England and proud of her Welsh background, is picked on
at school, but she's not so nice either. On Halloween night, lost in a strange
dangerous land, she can choose to show courage and claim her Celtic gifts and
better self in this nonstop adventure.

Long synopsis

Meg hates her new school. Then again, she has never liked any of her schools.
She always feels like an outsider wherever she goes, as if she doesn't really
fit in. But then fleeing a Halloween party and four bullies with her popular,
smart sister, Susan, Meg stumbles upon a passageway between her world and one
ruled by witches. Could this be where she belongs? If so, is there any way she
can stop the Dark Queen's yearly sacrifice? If she can't, she might be stuck
there forever with a heart that grows colder every year whether she belongs or
not!

Comments

Contains use of words spelled as spoken with an English or Welsh accent like:
ha'n't , reckonerise, and words invented for the fantasy setting. As well as
children's slang. All standard and nonstandard spelling has been checked with
the print copy of the book.

I'm still only getting half of my e-mail and can't send messages, but I'm
counting my blessings that I can proofread, especially since Evan's already
scanned 9 Thanksgiving books, I have 11 more Making Out books from Jamie to
Proofread, Anywhere But Heere, 450 + pages from Mayrie and The Bruce Trilogy,
1000 + pages from Amber. With no email to send I'll have more time to stay on
task.

My Bookshare mail is coming through. I'm glad to be keeping up with all of you.

Always with love,

Lissi