[bksvol-discuss] Trying to Decide Which Scanning and Word Processing Programme to Use

  • From: Sensation Experience Official <sensationexperience.official@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 15:38:18 -0800

Hello, all.
I have been trying to decide whether I should use Open Book nine or Docu Scan Plus to scan in my submissions. I attempted one scan with Docu Scan plus, but the submission ended up having a bad impression for my first book. In the past, I used Open Book until the demo expired, but one great thing I liked about it was that it automatically put in page breaks for you, whereas Docu Scan Plus didn't. In fact, it put in unnecessary links and tables where they were not needed. I experimented with the scanning profile, but all to no avail. Today, after consulting with a fellow volunteer member off-list, I consulted Serotek Support to ask them about using their software for Bookshare submissions. Their response wasn't very encouraging, as they said it was more for personal storage and accessing documents anywhere, rather than using it as a way to scan in books. I must mention that the commission for the blind has purchased a license for me to use Docu Scan Plus and not Open Book, which I am wondering if I should reconsider in getting. Also, is Word Pad a good built-in word-processing programme to put in page breaks? How does one do this? Can you put in a four-digit hex character and then press alternate+X to produce a page break? I'd really appreciate any further tips on how to get started, but for now I think I'll continue proofing until I get my scanning stuff situated.
Best,
-Al