[bksvol-discuss] Re: Total books added this year

  • From: "Sandi Ryan" <sjryan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 19:06:54 -0600

Hi Alisa,

Each volunteer has unique equipment, and employs unique procedures for scanning
or proofreading a book.

I have so far scanned, but for me scanning includes moving page numbers to the
top, putting title, parts and chapters in the correct font, spell-checking,
stripping headers/footers, and I generally read the book through, unless I
don't like it, to find glaring errors.

I'd guess this process takes me about 6 hours for a short, wonderfully scanned
book, and probably 25 for books over 500 pages that require deeper correction.

My goal is to get this book to a proofreader with as little to do as possible
(there's often punctuation work to be done--and instances of missed
corrections, so there's plenty to do), and to get it to the collection quickly,
but with as high quality as possible!

I love this work!

Sandi