[bksvol-discuss] Tony's message

  • From: "maithe007" <maithe007@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 15:23:33 -0400

Dear Bookshare list,

I understand where he is coming from.  I think the point he was trying to make
was that he has gone out of his way to share and contribute to this group and
it has not been appreciated.

From my point of view, I do have to agree with some of the comments he has
made.  I decided to continue scanning books for Bookshare; however, I will no
longer engage in the discussions.  I met several individuals who are just
wonderful, but on the other hand, there are many who need to understand that
being rude, disrespectful, and obnoxious is just not acceptable.  I will not
start pointing fingers, but I will say that I am a member of over 150 groups
and this is the only group that I have encountered such behaviors.  It is very
disheartening to know that any comment you make or question posed is up for
ridicule.

I understand that comments might be misconstrued at times via the written word,
but it seems that it is the same individuals constantly making these negative
remarks.  We are adults and as such, we need to treat one another with respect.

I am a therapist and I can honestly say that many in this group need to improve
their communication skills.  I have found myself feeling attacked, ridiculed,
and disregarded on many occasions.  I generally let things go, but I do not see
these individuals trying to curb these negative behaviors even when it is
pointed-out to them.  I know several people who now refuse to interact for the
same reasons I have stated and this community will continue losing volunteers
if such behaviors continue.

As I previously stated, I have met many wonderful individuals here and I thank
them for their assistance and encouragement.  For those of you that just do not
care what others think or feel, please know that you are creating disharmony in
a community that should be united.

Sincerely,

Maithe Ortiz
maithe007@xxxxxxxxxxxxx