[bksvol-discuss] Re: To Strip Or Not To Strip

  • From: Mike Pietruk <pietruk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 08:05:01 -0400 (EDT)

Kenneth

I couldn't say it any better!  BookShare, if it is to survive in the
long-term, has to make book submitting and the end product for its
users straightforward, simple and what people want and need.
If it cannot, submitters will not submit, customers may pay once and not
renew due to dissatisfaction, and financial contributors will see what
they don't want to see and either stop supporting or not be interested in
supporting.
It's up to Bookshare/Benetech to do the lobbying with Kurzweil and all the
rest and not for us volunteers.

My first interest in volunteering for
Bookshare was to bring about more availability of Christian-related
non-fiction and fiction books.  Hence, if time and technology show that
there is a better avenue for this for whatever reason, I, and likely
others, will turn our support and energy to that entity.
Bookshare, like any first attempt at something, provides a learning curve
for others watching and considering such enterprises.
Clearly, BookShare's most significant problem is its shoestring operation
which doesn't allow it the ability to make necessary improvements, closely
work with volunteers, work with 3rd parties to improve auxiliary products,
provide volunteers with tools, and all the rest.
The shame is that we will likely never know what a financially overflowing
Bookshare could do as that would mean more paid employees doing work, an
online system which would evolve into robustness, and all the rest.

The real hope is that, over time, there will be no need for a Bookshare
because
publishers will be able to deliver electronic texts along aside their
printed books simultaneouslly in a form blind users can handle
conveniently.
Then, at some point, a generation or 2 down the line, NLS, RFB&D, services
such as Bookshare may become dinosaurs or, if they exist, be radically
different from what they are today.

It's often hard to see those changes when we're in the midst of them.  But
think, for example, how much use blind patrons can now actually make of
their public library.  Regular books can be borrowed for scanning, audio
book collections are growing, and, with devices such as Freedom Box, a
patron can bring this with them to use the library's publicly available
computers.
And thanks to the library catalogs more and more being online, blind as
well as sighted customers can do their searching from home.

30 years ago, much of this would have been viewed as fanciful science
fiction and beyond practical reality.  Well, it is more and more here; and
it wouldn't surprise me that a file sharing system such as BookShare will
evolve into or be replaced by something far more efficient in the coming
decades.
We don't know what that will exactly be, but the march of technology and
human ingenuity and entrepreneurship will take the current learning
experiences and build or remold a better mousetrap, so to speak.

Returning this to the original subject, it's not just having page numbers
that is important, it is having the right ones and being able to verify
them by viewing from the text rather than synthesized by an automated tool
which already is viewed as being significantly flawed by many.

The first step in this process would be including, in the file bundle of
Daisy, the book as validated prior to in-house massaging.
Perhaps even more, adding another file which was the original submission
itself.

I don't see any legal issues here as accessing those files would require a
password much as getting the .opf and .htm files that are already part of
the package.