[bksvol-discuss] Re: To Strip Or Not To Strip

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <geraldhovas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 15:52:26 -0500

Kenneth,

I don't know if we have many options at this time.  I would expect Peter to
be better informed than I am, though, so maybe he can answer your question.

The only two DAISY readers that I know of other than K-1000 and OpenBook are
Victor Reader Soft and FS Reader.  Personally, I don't like using Victor
Reader Soft, but I have seen it display page numbers, and it can be
downloaded from Bookshare.  I've never tried FS Reader, so I don't know how
Freedom Scientific handles page numbers.

Personally, I prefer to forgo DAISY at this time in favor of the HTML file
that can be unpacked with the DAISY files.  Since that file is merely an
HTML file, it can be read using Internet Explorer and JAWS.  I like being
able to skim passages in books that I've already read using JAWS to fast
forward to the next paragraph.  The other nice thing about it is that I've
never seen a book which doesn't have page numbers throughout the text.
Occasionally I see two sets of page numbers, though.  My guess is that  this
is caused by the Stripper not being able to recognize page numbers, so it
assigns page numbers based on a page's location in a file, which, as we all
know, may not synch with the page numbers in the book since many books begin
numbering the pages with the first page of the prologue or chapter 1.

If many of you are using K-1000 to read the DAISY files as I suspect, and
you aren't able to see page numbers throughout the text as you would like,
then I'd suggest making your wish known to Kurzweil.

Gerald