[bksvol-discuss] To Laura About Validating

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 14:12:24 -0400

Hi, Laura. To me, scanning and validating are like learning to play a musical instrument. Your first efforts will be somewhat rough because you're learning. Then, in a gradual way, almost without noticing, you will begin to do things well and without major effort, just like the day that the awkward fumblings on a piano or a guitar begin to be recognized as music. Soon you will know what to do and can focus on the pleasure of reading and relishing the feeling of accomplishment because you've also done something to help someone else. This is like playing a song so beautiful that you're ready to dance. Finally, your music will inspire others to dance as your scanning work inspires people to change their lives or see the world in a new way. Don't be afraid to try and fail because that is the first step toward making a difference. Making mistakes only shows people that you're in the game and willing to learn. I made some pretty big ones when I first came here, and you'll have to work to top them. (grin)

Monica Willyard, rhyami@xxxxxxxxx
Add rhyami to your Skype if you'd like to chat.