[bksvol-discuss] Re: To Jamie Yates A few queries if I may while proofreading a book of her's

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 23:11:46 -0500

Dear Chela,

I've read 6 of the Mitford books and can tell you that the th is correct for
the, though there might be an apostrophe like   for the. It's part of the
author's interpretation of the North Carolina accent. Some people have found
the Mitford books difficult to proof because many more words in addition to the
are spelled untraditionally as part of that accent, so I'd advise that you
leave most words as you find them, or get a copy of the book.

About leaving the price of the book. I leave them in. When a sighted reader
examines a book jacket, they see the price. I think it's interesting to know
the cost of a book. Besides satisfying my curiosity about how much people spent
who bought the book to read it in print, it reminds me of how lucky we are to
have books at little or no cost from Bookshare.

I'm almost finished proofing the 28 books in the Making Out series, also
scanned by Jamie. They are paperbacks that only cost $4 each, which was their
price in the mid-nineties, but that would be $112 plus tax for the set, less
than half the price of a year's membership to Bookshare. Your post just caused
me to reflect about how Bookshare at full price is the bargain of a lifetime!

Always with love,

Lissi