[bksvol-discuss] To Gerald Re: OCR Corrections

  • From: Monica <plumlipstick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 01:13:57 -0500

Hi, Gerald. In general, I agree with what you're saying here. There are 2 reasons I want to maintain a good OCR correction file. The first is that I know myself well enough to know that I have to work around my personal weaknesses. I am Mickey's opposite in that I despise proofreading and am unlikely to submit my scans if I need to spend hours proofreading after scanning. Right or wrong, it's one of my quirks. I have tried to change myself over the past 15 years, and it's an uphill fight. I scan around 5 books a week and read them as they are. I can easily see myself with 100 scanned books sitting here because I haven't had time to proofread them. I've already got 78 books scanned so far, and I've been trying to clean them up enough to submit them. I'm already overwhelmed by what I've got.

Second, I scan a very limited type of books, either mysteries or nonfiction and factual. My hard drive would reel in shock if I fed it any fantasy books. I do see the need to remove a couple of the words you've mentioned. I was looking for words that scan as garbage that are definitely errors like the words cornpany, cbildren, and rnake. My books do contain proper names but rarely contain anything as unusual as the names of aliens or Medieval sorcerers. (smile)

Openbook makes applying OCR corrections a checkbox, and I'm glad of that. If I agreed to scan a Star Trek book for someone, I'd turn my OCR file off. I'm glad you have brought up these points because it's good to be aware before adding a ton of words to the corrections file. Thanks for taking the time to make sure I knew about the power of my apparent magic bullet. (grin)

On Saturday 4/1/2006 11:21 AM, you wrote:
Monica,

Actually, I prefer to keep OCR Correction turned off because it's another
form of a global search and replace, and global search and replaces can get
you in trouble.