[bksvol-discuss] Re: Tired of turning pages? Make your own scanner

  • From: "Cindy Deren" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 20:46:44 -0500

Dear Pratik and everyone,

I'm back and so happy to be among Bookshare users, movers, shakers and
volunteers again. Two weeks ago my computer crashed for reasons the Dell people
couldn't name. I'm still clawing my way through the set up of organization the
way I liked it and though you'll quickly notice I haven't figured out how to
get the spell check engaged again. I'm grateful to be back in the loop, but I
sorely regret the loss of my validation files, Daisey and brf books, Volunteer
tips and computer tips I so carefully collected and used to tackle my ever
present computer challenges and all of the addresses for individuals in my
outlook express address book. I also lovingly created files of hundreds of
poems, quotes, humor, diabetic and regular recipes, knitting patterns and tips,
interesting links, book announcements and synoopses and reviews from this group
and from the Reading Club for the Blind, hobbit stories both touching and funny
by some of the most talented tolkien fan writers and so so much more. It feels
as if my library burned to a pile of ashe. Today, I bought some kind of 8 gig
drive thing to connect to my computer once a day to make backups of everything
I've saved every day. It's also obvious I'm still in serious need of a teacher
who would teach me for the pittance of $the 20 an hour I can afford.

I haven't been to the Bookshare site yet to see the sorry state of my
validation projects. Two books were poised for uploading. Either someone else
has taken them which will be fine as long as they end up in the collection, or
I'll be starting work on them from square one.

This post sounds so general you must be wondering why I singled you out in my
greeting, Pradik. It's because I read your e mail about the automatic scanner
and I'm here to stand up and admit, as I always do, that I'm so muzzy about
computers that when I went to the site and read about the scanner, I couldn't
tell if I was reading about a real piece of equipment or if the entire site is
humor. At first I was positive it was a joke. With my bad vision, the pictures
sure didn't help. They looked like pictures of shopping carts, huge
construction equipment or those ladders they sell in infomercials which can be
arranged in a score of positions.

So, Pradik, was your post some silliness to brighten our day or the beginning
of the end for your corpse of volunteers. Yes, we can be a prickly lot, but we
adore Book share, and those of us who learn to take the quirks of the huge
system in stride, and ride them out, love our work and the feeling we're
contributing to the diverse, ever growing Book-share collection.

So, here I am, more scared of computers than ever, but ever so happy to be
back. I missed Book-share so much and I missed all of you who post to the
discussion and volunteer lists. I perceive every one of you as a unique,
likable, personality.

With even more love than usual,

Lissi