[bksvol-discuss] Tips for scanning larger books

  • From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 10:32:44 -0500

OK folks,  here are some tips for scanning full-size hard covers.
I am assuming here that the book is not oversize, and that the width of
the open book does not exceed the length of the scanner's flat bed.

Try placing the open book sideways on the scanner,  for example with the
top of the page to the left of the scanner.  You may notice that the book
is slightly to tall to fit completely on the glass:  either the top or the
bottom will stick out.

YThe trick will be to try fitting the entire body text of the page on the
scanner, and hopefully to include also page numbers and headers.  For the
sake of this iscussion,  I am assuming that the header and page numbers
are at the top.  If page numbers are at the bottom of the page,  some of
what I say may need to
be inverted.

Try aligning the top of the page to the right of the scanner.  In this
case the bottom of the page will dangle out.
Scan a few pages,  possibly sampling different spots in the book.  Now
examing the bottom of each recognized page.  If you find that the bottom
line of every page is recognized correctly, and all the text is there, and
is not corrupted,  and the meaning seems to be flowing properly from page
to page,  you are probably fine.  The text portion of the printed book is
small enough to fit the scanning surface,  in spite of the fact that the
physical page is a little too large.

But what if you see the bottom line missing,  or corrupted?  In this case
you want to try to test the book by aligning the bottom of the  book with
the left margin of the glass, and let the top of the book dangle out from
the other side.  Remember to press firmly on the book when scanning.  Scan
several pages in different spots of the book.  Now check the top of each
page.  You will find that in most books the top headers have come through
just fine.  This is because in may books there is a healthy top blank
margin above the header.  However,  you may find that in some books the
header and page numbers are badly mangled, or even non existing.
Unfortunately there is really nothing you can do about it.  The most
important thing is to ensure that the top line in the body-text is
actually intact.  If this line is intact,  you can scan the entire book
with the bottom of the book aligned with the left margin of the scanner,
and the top of the book dangling.

If the page numbers are missing or corrupted,  you will quickly discover
that doing a page integrity check is a real pain,  because it can be only
done from context,  that is by checking the flow of the words from one
page to the next.  Not fun,  but still possible if you still retain a copy
of the book.  Just remember that it is a lot easier to spot a duplicate
page from context and remove it, than to spot a couple of missing pages.
So,  be extra careful when scanning.  If you are in doubt if you scanned a
page after some interruption,  just rescan it.

Last but not least,  the real problem is when     the body text is taller
than the scanner is wide.  In this case you truly cannot scan the book two
pages at a time,  but you need to scan it one page at a time, with the top
of the page to the front or to the back of scanner.

Sorry for the long posting.

Guido

Guido D. Corona
IBM Accessibility Center,  Austin Tx.
IBM Research,
Phone:  (512) 838-9735
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx

Visit my weekly Accessibility WebLog at:
http://www-3.ibm.com/able/weblog/corona_weblog.html

"Gary Petraccaro" <garyp130@xxxxxxxxxxx>
06/16/2004 04:24 AM
Please respond to
bksvol-discuss

<bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Killers Wake by Bernard Cornwell --  Sorry,  had to
nuke it

If you mean scanning in two-page mode, the only way you can do that is to
err on cutting off the topside.  Otherwise, you'll be spending enough time
centering the book when setting up each page for a scan, to have done the
whole thing page by page.