[bksvol-discuss] Re: Tips For Getting Your Book Wishes Filled

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 18:23:23 -0400

Hi, Jamie. Your questions are good ones. The Bookshare tools will strip out headers if they are uniform. It preserves the page number. The system doesn't reject books that have headers intact, so your validations are fine. The place where the stripper gets confused is where the headers on each page are different or don't scan clearly. For example, say that the left page has a header with the author's name and the right page has a header with the name of the chapter. This means that the header on the right side pages will change every few pages. In this case, I manually remove headers, leaving the page number intact. So at the top of the page I have a blank line, the page number, and then another blank line. Please know that this is not required for book acceptance. It is what many of us do to make the book as readable as possible. It makes sure that headers are gone and that chapter headings are preserved correctly. When our members read books in html or Braille format, they will not see headers included in the text. Again, this is optional, and no one is going to have a book rejected if it has headers but is a good scan.

Monica Willyard

If there are running headers in a book with page numbers on the same line, should the page numbers be left when the header text is removed? If I have validated a book without removing headers, am I correct that Bookshare has a tool that will do this thereby not causing my otherwise good validation to be rejected? Thanks. ----- Original Message -----