[bksvol-discuss] Re: Time required for book approvals?

  • From: Mike Pietruk <pietruk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bksvol <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 00:32:41 -0500 (EST)

Paula

There are books validated prior to Christmas still waiting final approval
so the backlog has to be sizable.
With more and more submitters ssupplying books, this is understandable.
In-house volunteers are also appearing to be submitting greater amounts of
material; and these seem to reach final approvals on a faster track than
outside volunteer submitted/validated books.
I validated three in-house books in the last couple of weeksand all are
now a part of the collection.
Frankly, I have a growing concern if BookShare has the capability of
handling this new higher level of contributions;
and if they don't,
some new strategy toward achieving final approvals, such as allowing
certified volunteers to handle straightforward approvals, ought to be
considered.
Right now, Bookshare is a sort of victim of its own success having
volunteers creating material at a pace outstripping employee ability to
certify it.
We can just hope that higher ups at Benetech are aware of this growing
problem and will address it with a solution that can get books approved in
a more timely manner.
You are not alone, Paula, in your frustration.  and concern
and in so much material seemingly taking forever to get to the customers.

In fairness to Benetech, I doubt anyone could have anticipated just how
much material would be contributed so quickly and just how fast the
volunteer pool has grown.
And after all, Gustavo not only has to issue final approvals on validated
books but also has other responsibilities.
I suspect he needs a few more hands to assist, and hopefully they can be
found.