[bksvol-discuss] Re: Three Asterisks: An explanation from the staff

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2012 12:55:42 -0400

You will most certainly be given a chance to get better as you go along. Keep in mind that the whole point of proofreading is to correct any mistakes you might make as a submitter. It would be a good idea to make the job of the proofreader as easy as possible by submitting the best scan you can, but what you miss the proofreader should be able to correct. The rule about rejecting a book is that if it would be less trouble to start over than to correct the problems then it should be rejected. When that happens you should receive an email that will explain what the problem is and you can use that feedback to learn and to get better.

On 10/5/2012 2:53 AM, Jennifer Piening wrote:
I am a new volunteer, and all I have to say is wow! This whole asterisk issue sounds really overwhelming! I'm going to begin with scanning books, and I'm wondering if we make some mistakes along the way, will we get penalized or will we be given a chance to get better as we go? Is it OK if we don't get all of these rules incorporated into the scans and the proofreaders might have to correct some of our mistakes? Before we officially had to volunteer, I submitted some scans, and I think one of them got rejected, and now I know why. It was because of page breaks. With all of these rules, though, I'm feeling a bit intimidated by it all.
     Jenny