[bksvol-discuss] Re: Three Asterisks: An explanation from the staff

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2012 02:06:36 -0500

Hi Jenny,

Welcome, to volunteering! Don't let it intimidate you, even though it sure can feel intimidating at first. smile. You can ask any question you want here, and most of the time you'll get an answer right away. If you make mistakes, either a proofreader can fix them. If you feel overwhelmed you can also ask the volunteer coordinator, Madeleine, to pair you with a mentor to work with you to learn the ropes. Mentors are volunteers with experience who are glad to help you out.

It can be helpful, too, to ask here, before you submit a book to be proofread, if an experienced proofreader is willing to proofread your book and give you feedback on any problems and how you might fix them for your next scan. That way you can submit the book with a hold on it for that proofreader and work with them until you get more comfortable.

Again, welcome!

Judy s.

On 10/5/2012 1:53 AM, Jennifer Piening wrote:
I am a new volunteer, and all I have to say is wow! This whole asterisk issue sounds really overwhelming! I'm going to begin with scanning books, and I'm wondering if we make some mistakes along the way, will we get penalized or will we be given a chance to get better as we go? Is it OK if we don't get all of these rules incorporated into the scans and the proofreaders might have to correct some of our mistakes? Before we officially had to volunteer, I submitted some scans, and I think one of them got rejected, and now I know why. It was because of page breaks. With all of these rules, though, I'm feeling a bit intimidated by it all.
     Jenny