[bksvol-discuss] Re: Thoughts On Older Books On Step 1

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <GeraldHovas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 12:53:25 -0500

Jill,

No, we're talking about the new feature which allows the admin to choose
which copy of a book to kick back to Step 1 when they have to kick a book
back.  They can now choose to kick back the copy which the validator
uploaded rather than always having to kick back the copy the submitter
uploaded.

One possibility for using this feature that the staff probably didn't
invision is converting ARK and KES books to RTF, uploading the book as if it
were being accepted, and having the admin put the converted book on Step 1
for us.

I don't know that the staff wants to get into the business of helping
convert books to RTF, and we haven't seen the new feature used yet, so
there's still some questions as to how well it will work.

* Who gets the credit if the admin kicks the validated copy of a book back
to Step 1?  Will it be the volunteer who did the work of validating the
book, or the last person to touch it who may have just verified the title,
author, or copyright.  If they implemented the feature correctly, then the
admin will be able to choose who gets the credit depending on the
circumstances.

What file format will the book show when the validated copy is kicked back
to Step 1?  Will it be RTF since books must be in RTF when they are uploaded
after validation, or will it still show ARK or KES if the book was submitted
in that format?  If it's not updated, then we run the risk of someone
rejecting the book for the book being submitted under the wrong file format.

What happens if the validator doesn't have a clue as to what they're doing
and makes a mess of the book?  We run the chance of having a good book
rejected because the next volunteer comes along and finds the mess.

Until we know more about how this new feature works, I'd hesitate to use it
for more than a special case, which is probably all that the staff
invisioned using it for anyway.

Gerald