[bksvol-discuss] Re: Thoughts On Older Books On Step 1

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 18:56:34 -0400

I suggest that some of the older books may actually be in pretty poor shape. This is only a hunch. It comes from having gone through some of the older books on the list lately.

The validation process was thought of originally as just a checking out of the book. Submitters, particularly those submitting "heavier reading" please need to create the best original they can.

A larger pool of validators might mean speedier turnover of books, getting them off step 1. A larger pool of validators also will mean some of us will take on some of the nonfiction or other titles, just out of a law of percentages.

Economic incentive may help too as you point out applied to books on step one for, perhaps nine months or more.

E.
At 06:36 PM 5/15/2007, you wrote:
Elizabeth's messages about the older books on step 1 got me to look at the step 1 page this evening to see what I could do to help out. Looking at the titles has got me wondering about something. Many of these books are either textbooks, essays, or other heavy nonfiction titles. I think most of us avoid working on books like this. I'm trying to find a solution to this problem. Do you think it might work to give validaters some sort of double credit for working on books that are over a year old? Or for textbooks since that's what many of these titles are? As I looked at the oldest books, my reaction was a groan because validating them would be tedious and boring to me. While some of our members do enjoy that type of material, I don't think I'm alone in my feelings. Would receiving double credit be an incentive for you personally? I'd like to know what you all think of my idea because I will suggest it to John if it has merrit. Does anyone have other ideas for encouraging people to process our more scholarly titles?

"Don't let yesterday use up too much of today!" Will Rogers
Monica Willyard, rhyami@xxxxxxxxx
Add rhyami to your Skype if you'd like to chat.