[bksvol-discuss] Re: Think Christmas!!!

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 21:10:17 -0500

Dear Mike, E and Everyone,

What a happy topic you raised, Mike. Christmas books!

Elizabeth, do you remember about a century ago when you offered to scan 8 of my Celtic books and I dropped the ball?

I'm sorry my projects tend to over tax my time.

One of the books you chose was, Irish Stories for Christmas by John, B. Keane. It's 150 pages long with a one page, easily scanned glossary at the end. I've clipped braille notes identifying blank pages, and chapter names. The first word in each chapter also starts with an enlarged capitol letter which I've noticed often doesn't scan correctly in books I've validated, so I've also noted the first word of each chapter, in case that helps, though monitoring that might be the validator's job.

Anyway, if you are still interested, Elizabeth, I promise to have the book in the mail to you by Wednesday. If you are busy with studying and other projects, I understand, and will offer the book to anyone else who might be interested.

For anyone else who is looking for a Christmas book to scan, I have another collection of Irish Christmas stories called A Celtic Christmas edited by Mairtin O'Griofa. It's 127 pages long and also has a one page glossary at the end which you might want to skip because it is written in columns in slanted text. There are whole page illustrations in this book which I think can be skipped without detracting from the text. I could note the chapter names and first words in this book, too, only if it would be helpful as the chapter titles are also in very large print with a small decoration under each one and the first letter of the first word of each chapter is three lines tall and could confuse a scanner. Otherwise the text is very plain and scanner friendly.

Usually I send books with permission to chop and not expecting them to be returned, but I'd like these two books back and will send return postage. Of course I don't mind a bit if the binding is softened up so the book lays flat on your scanner.

I also have a large box of Christmas books in my basement and most are up for donation as I can part with them knowing they'd turn up in the Book share collection. If there's an interest, I'll list some of them for any of you to consider to scan.

I've forgotten the title, but if you search under Anne Perry, there's a wonderful Christmas story of her's in the collection.

Always With Love,

Lissi
----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Pietruk" <pietruk@xxxxxxxxx>